Adventures in Ethical Consumerism

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Cheaper, more ethical phone calls

The Phone Co-op will save you money on your phone bill. I still pay monthly line rental charges to British Telecom (whose customer service has made vast improvements in recent years), but all the calls I make on my land line are automatically re-routed through the Phone Co-op. This service cost me five pounds to set up (I paid the fiver so I don't have to manually dial a prefix before every call) and it is saving me money on practically every call I make.

The Phone Co-op also provides broadband and dial-up internet services at reasonable rates, and this is what I use at home. They can be beaten on price for their internet services, but I was happy to go for this because of the lack of promotional gimmicks, and also because I could go broadband without having to sign a one-year contract, and I could choose my own modem/router etc.

I much prefer paying my phone and internet bills to this company. They were not established to make profit like BT or the many other companies offering phone and internet services. Like any co-operative, people who use the Phone Co-op are free to join and take a share in the profits and the decision making. I would like to see more people choosing to spend their money with more democratic, less profit-orientated companies like this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home