Adventures in Ethical Consumerism

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Green = clean

Research at Bristol University has indicated a link between chemicals in the home and development of asthma in young people:

“Experts looked at families' use of a range of products such as bleach, paint stripper and carpet cleaners.

Children born into the 10% of families which used these products the most were twice as likely to suffer from wheezing as those who used the least.”


Click here for the full story.

I decided to go chemical-free at home a couple of years ago. I definitely feel this was a positive decision for my health, and haven’t had any concerns about lack of hygiene. I would say my home smells a lot more natural than it did when I had small chemical plant under my sink and, as a highly allergic person, I believe my skin and breathing are less irritated as a result of the change.

Try these brands for a natural, biodegradable cleaning experience:

Ecover
Bio-D
Clear Spring
Earth Friendly

The Co-op is working to remove hazardous chemicals from its range of own-brand household cleaning products, among other things. Click here for more information.

2 Comments:

  • Those products are good, and I also recommend Simple Green. I got a good does sprayed in my eye by my kid and no damage or pain. Plus, it works on everything that I've needed it for.

    Also, this study can be looked at in light of other studies that are saying that super-clean households can create more allergies and asthma. The theory is that, in a super-clean house, the immune system has no way of developing properly and so starts acting up based on normal stuff. If you look at the percentages, the most commonly-used chemicals are cleaning chemicals.

    I'm not dismissing the danger of the chemicals themselves, just trying to point out other dangers of cleaning.

    By Blogger j&c, at 7:22 AM  

  • It's a good point that being too clean could in itself be a health hazard. For me, there is an association between obsessive cleanliness and the use of chemical cleaners in the home. I think there are many people who are still convinced that natural and biodegradable products aren't up to the job of ensuring total hygiene. I'm certain that they are and that, like anything, they ought to be used in moderation.

    By Blogger beev, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home